A cake-y blend of that classic flavor combination, strawberry and banana, this healthy treat will satisfy your sweet craving, with none of the refined sugars, whenever it strikes next.
Do you find it hard to get out of bed when it’s still dark outside?
I’ve been a morning person for years. When all my friends would sleep late on the weekends during high school, I’d be waking up before 9:00 AM and just taking the morning to snuggle up with a good book and a mug of coffee. Quiet slow mornings are my favorite way to start the day.
When you wake up so early, though, it’s important to get enough sleep the night before. In senior year I made a self-imposed bed time around 10:30-11:00 PM on most nights. All the jokes about my old-lady sleeping habits were so worth the feeling of being well-rested.
It’s tough to have that kind of schedule in college. Work keeps me up late, and I still wake up early every day. Lately I’ve actually been struck by a strong urge to bake at around midnight. Better baking than parties!
These bars were the product of another one of those moods. My first attempt was all right, but needed some definite work before I could share it with you. The wait was more than worth it, as evidenced by the way 2/3 of the pan was devoured in 15 minutes at 1:00 AM.
It’s one of those eat-it-before-it-cools, jump out of bed early despite the lack of sun shining through your window types of foods. Because who doesn’t love a good slice (or two… or three… nobody’s counting) of strawberry studded banana goodness?
Hmm, no response. You must all have your mouths full already, since you know what’s good for you, aka THIS DELIGHT.
This is clean eating the best way there is. We’re talking sweetness from those overripe bananas and pure maple syrup. Just the right density from 100% whole wheat flour. Spiced with the taste of autumn. The oat topping gives it all that jazz.
Your taste buds will thank you.
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- Optional: 1-2 tbsp toasted rolled oats (Bake in oven at 350º F for 4 minutes or until lightly toasted)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 8x8 pan with parchment paper, or lightly grease.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together oil, egg, maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix in the mashed bananas.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients, stirring as you go to fully incorporate into the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Pour into pan. If desired, top with oats and sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan before slicing.
- Store wrapped tightly at room temperature for 2 days, or up to a week in the fridge.