Help! Emergency! I just got this serious hankering to dunk something in my coffee. The crunch factor has to be real though.
One year, in high school, my friend took a nutrition class. There was an assignment to research a diet and try it out for three days, writing a report about what it was like and what they learned. She wasn’t allowed to do gluten free, since she’s celiac, so instead chose the juice diet. I offered to test it out with her, for some moral support.
I still shudder at the memory. We both lasted a day and a half before we had to quit, feeling dizzy from lack of proper nutrients. I remember driving home from school in the middle of the day just so that I could get real food.
God, the feeling of being able to chew again was pure bliss. Never again will I do something like a juice diet. They’re extremely dangerous, depriving your body of the necessary nutrients to get through the day, and are totally unsustainable (as we quickly learned).
Even now when I’m drinking something, my body just craves something crunchy to munch. It’s might have become a tiny bit of a texture obsession. Don’t worry, though. Nothin’ a girl can’t handle.
When you make these, probably just double the recipe. One batch for you, and one for everyone else. You know, we’re all about that balanced eating.
Speaking of which, these truly are a well-balanced treat. Using sprouted grains makes it easier to digest for people with gluten sensitivities (this is not gluten-free!), in addition to activating more of the nutrients and vitamins than in non-sprouted grains.
Even better? Sprouting brings out more of the natural flavors, leaving you with that oft-sought but hardly found, deeply complex flavor palette. The nuttiness of spelt paired with the zing of citrusy orange is like reuniting long-lost lovers. Who are you to stand in the way of romance?
Full disclosure- it took most of my self-restraint not to munch my way through the entire batch as soon as they came out of the oven. And then the rest of my self-restraint not to make my third cup of coffee to pair with the one that I did (inevitably) end up tasting.
Because truthfully, only an insane person would turn up their nose at a fresh-out-the-oven biscotti.
Let’s break down the stars of these bad boys.
Sprouted spelt flour
Perfect for every state of emergency. Less than 1 hour from start to finish. Just 8 ingredients.
I want to hear from you. Make sure to leave a comment, pin the recipe on Pinterest, or tag #lensesandlentils on Instagram if you make this recipe!
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sprouted spelt flour*
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line or lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Whisk together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients. Stir into the wet ingredients.
- Pat hands with flour, then scrape dough out of bowl onto baking sheet. Shape into a long, thin log. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow biscotti to cool for 5-7 minutes, and lower oven to 325°F.
- Slice gently on a diagonal angle. Bake for 15-20 more minutes, until a golden-brown and slightly hard to the tough, flipping halfway through.
- Allow to cool. Biscotti will harden a little more out of the oven. Store in an airtight container for 1 week.